Is it time for your support center to put pcAnywhere out to pasture? This competitive document details key differences that make Bomgar a better solution for enterprise remote support.
Is pcAnywhere Suitable for the Current Technology Landscape?
When your company has pcAnywhere installed on hundreds or thousands of end systems, it may seem easier to leave things as they are. But with Symantec’s recent announcement of End of Life for pcAnywhere after seven years without a major upgrade, enterprise support centers need a more advanced solution to avoid falling behind the curve. Even in 2009, Gartner stated that “Legacy remote control tools are incapable of supporting increasingly complex environments, and companies must find new ways to provide support services to users.” [PC Remote Control Security: Risks & Recommendations]
In addition, pcAnywhere is not built to deal with the security threats in the current IT landscape. No centralized management or auditing is possible, and connecting across the internet requires punching holes in the company firewall. This may be fine for supporting grandparents, but global corporations can’t afford that risk. According to Trustwave Spiderlabs, “Remote access remained the most widely used method of infiltration in 2012. Unfortunately for victim organizations, the front door is still open.” [2013 Global Security Report]
We compare Bomgar with pcAnywhere by looking at the following:
- Architecture & Technology: How well does each product handle advanced support processes? Does the solution enable both internal and external support?
- Security: What security measures are in place? Does the solution architecture enable security and compliance best practices?
- Platform Support: How well does the solution operate across multiple operating systems?
- Management: Does the solution enable efficient management of end users, reps, and external vendors?
- Integration: Does the solution enable a seamless workflow by integrating with ITSM and CRM tools?
- Cost: How much time and/or money does the solution cost to implement, manage, and maintain?