Register and Update the Bomgar Virtual Appliance
The Bomgar update server will not recognize the new appliance, nor can you browse to the public site or the /login interface, until you have completed the tasks in this section.
- Obtain an SSL certificate that matches your DNS name. Upload the certificate to your appliance and assign it to an IP address. For detailed instructions, see the SSL Certificate Guide. An overview of the process is given below.
- Log into the Bomgar /appliance interface and create a certificate signing request (CSR) or self-signed certificate.
Note: If the Bomgar Appliance will be using a copy of the certificate from another Bomgar Appliance or server, no CSR or self-signed certificate is necessary. Instead, export the certificate with its private key from the system on which it currently resides and import it to the Bomgar Appliance. For detailed steps, see the section Replicate the SSL Certificate on Failover and Atlas Appliances in the SSL Certificates Guide.
- Assign the new certificate to the IP address(es) of the Bomgar Appliance.
- Send Bomgar Technical Support a copy of the SSL root certificate and/or appliance DNS address. Also send a screenshot of the /appliance > Status > Basics page.
Note: If a self-signed certificate is used, the certificate serves as its own root certificate, and therefore, the self-signed certificate should be sent to Bomgar Technical Support. If a CA-signed certificate is used, contact the CA for a copy of their root certificate. If you have trouble contacting the CA, articles to assist with obtaining your root certificate can be found at help.bomgar.com. In either case, Bomgar Technical Support will need to know the DNS address of the appliance. If your DNS address is public and the SSL certificate is already installed, Support can retrieve a copy of the root from the public DNS address; in this case, it is not necessary to manually send the root certificate. If you send the SSL certificate, be sure it is in PKCS#7 (.p7b) format or DER (.cer) format. Do not send PKCS#12 (.p12 and .pfx).
- Wait up to 24 hours for Bomgar Technical Support to register the new appliance and build any necessary software packages. Then install these packages per the instructions sent from Bomgar Technical Support.
- Once you have installed the new software license package, your support portal will be available, and your /login interface will be accessible. For more details, see