Upgrade the Bomgar Software
Please visit the Product Change Log to get the details of each release of Bomgar remote support software.
- Prior to upgrading, always create a backup of your settings and configuration from /login > Management > Software Management.
(See Management for more details.)As a best practice, also export a copy of your SSL certificates and private key, and save them locally to ensure continuity in case of a failure on the upgrade. (See steps 1-3 of Replicate the SSL Certificate on Failover and Atlas Appliances for more details.)
- For major software releases, customers with current maintenance contracts are placed into a rollout schedule. Once your upgrade is ready, Bomgar will alert you via email to begin this upgrade procedure.
- If your Bomgar software has not been updated in some time and is several revisions behind the latest version, you will probably need to install several intermediate versions before installing the latest software. Contact Bomgar Support at www.bomgar.com/support with a screenshot of your /appliance > Status > Basics page to determine the specific updates needed for your appliance.
- Installation usually takes between 15 minutes to an hour. However, if you are storing a large amount of data on your appliance (e.g., support session recordings), the installation could take significantly longer.
- Bomgar recommends performing upgrades during scheduled maintenance windows. Your Bomgar site will be temporarily unavailable during the upgrade. All logged in representatives and active sessions will be terminated.
- Bomgar also recommends testing the update in a controlled environment prior to deploying into production. Testing can best be performed when you have two appliances in a failover relationship and when you update asynchronously (see Verify and Test).
- If you experience any issues during the Base update, do not restart the Bomgar Appliance. Please contact Bomgar Support.
- If you have two appliances set up in a failover configuration, consider whether you want to update synchronously or asynchronously.
- With synchronous updating, the primary appliance is updated first and maintains its role as primary. This method does involve some downtime; it is recommended for simple deployments and scenarios that will not suffer from being offline during the update.
- With asynchronous updating, the backup appliance is updated first and then assumes the role of primary. This method has minimal downtime; it is recommended for larger deployments and scenarios that rely on maintaining solid uptime. Some complexity is involved, as the network may have to be modified in order to failover to the backup appliance.
Only certain upgrades require client software to update. Base software updates and license add-ons do not require client software updates. Site version updates do require client updates, however. Most client updates occur automatically, but the expected update procedure for each type of client is reviewed below.
- Your installed representative consoles will need to be upgraded after the site upgrades. Typically, this occurs automatically the next time representatives run the representative console.
- Representative consoles previously deployed on locked-down computers using MSI may need to be re-deployed once the upgrade is complete.
- If the extractable representative console feature has been enabled for your site by Bomgar Support, then you can download an MSI installer to update representative consoles prior to upgrading the appliance. To do this, check for the new update either manually or automatically. Click the Rep Console Installers link to download the MSI for distribution. Note that the updated representative consoles will not come online until their appliance is updated. Keep a copy of the old MSI installer to remove the outdated representative console installations after the appliance is updated.
- After an upgrade, deployed Jump Clients will automatically update. If large numbers of Jump Clients attempt to update simultaneously, they may flood the appliance, severely crippling performance both on the appliance and the network, depending on the available bandwidth and hardware. To regulate the amount of bandwidth and resources consumed by Jump Client updates, go to /login > Configuration > Jump Clients and set the Maximum Number of Concurrent Jump Client Upgrades.
- If your Bomgar Appliance is out of date, multiple release versions may need to be installed to reach the current version. In this case, Bomgar recommends allowing at least 24 hours between updates to allow Jump Clients to upgrade. Passive Jump Clients may take longer than this depending on how long their host systems remain offline.
- Once a Jump Client appears as online in the representative console or the /login > Status > Information page, it has updated successfully. An effective means of confirming that all Jump Clients have updated is to log into the representative console as an administrative user with permission to modify all Jump Clients in the system. Export the list of Jump Clients. In the resulting report, sort the Jump Clients by Status Details and confirm that all the dates listed are more recent than the date of the last Bomgar Appliance upgrade.
- If too many release versions are installed back-to-back without first allowing Jump Clients to upgrade, Jump Clients may require manual redeployment.
- After an upgrade, Bomgar Buttons will update automatically upon being used for the first time subsequent to an upgrade.
- After an upgrade, deployed Jumpoints should automatically update.
- Bomgar Connection Agents will not automatically update after the site upgrades. Any deployed Connection Agents will need to be re-installed manually. Any security providers using Connection Agents will probably fail to function until their Connection Agents have been re-installed.
- Bomgar Integration Clients will not automatically update after the site upgrades. Integration Clients will need to be re-installed manually. Integration Client installers are available from the Downloads page of help.bomgar.com.
- Upon upgrading, it will be necessary to regenerate any installer packages previously created for Bomgar Buttons, Jump Clients, and representative consoles. The clients themselves will update as described above. However, the installer files for them will invalidate once the appliance which generated them is upgraded.
Topics Under "Upgrading Bomgar Software"